Gender associated risk factors of aortic aneurysms and dissections
Objectives. Predict who will develop a dissection. To create male and female prediction models using the risk factors: age, ethnicity, hypertension, high cholesterol, smoking, alcohol use, diabetes, heart attack, congestive heart failure, congenital and non-congenital heart disease, Marfan syndrome, and bicuspid aortic valve. Methods. Using 572 patients diagnosed with aortic aneurysms, a model was developed for each of males and females using 80% of the data and then verified using the remaining 20% of the data. Results. The male model predicted the probability of a male in having a dissection (p=0.076) and the female model predicted the probability of a female in having a dissection (p=0.054). The validation models did not support the choice of the developmental models. Conclusions. The best models obtained suggested that those who are at a greater risk of having a dissection are males with non-congenital heart disease and who drink alcohol, and females with non-congenital heart disease and bicuspid aortic valve.
Golabbakhsh, Hossein, "Gender associated risk factors of aortic aneurysms and dissections" (2008). Texas Medical Center Dissertations (via ProQuest). AAI1457529.