Led by Dr. Elva A. Wright, the San Jacinto Lung Association was first established on November 11, 1911 as the Houston Anti-Tuberculosis League. At the time Houston had a higher death rate of tuberculosis than the national average with two in 1000 persons dying from the disease in 1910. The Association was a non-profit, community-driven organization dedicated to engage the people of Houston to control, prevent, and educate the community about tuberculosis. Its primary focus and goals were to:

  • Educate public of cause and symptoms.
  • Promote healthy living.
  • Establish free clinic.
  • Employ visiting public health nurses.
  • Develop sanitariums and hospitals.
  • Advocate for laws to control tuberculosis.
  • Encourage city and county health departments to lead fight.
Houston Anti-Tuberculosis League Free Clinic, 1915

Houston Anti-Tuberculosis League Free Clinic, 1915

Dr. Elva Wright Examining Children, c. 1940

Dr. Elva Wright Examining Children, c. 1940

Emmeline J. Renis and children outside the Houston Anti-Tuberculosis League Free Clinic, c. 1925

Emmeline J. Renis and children outside the Houston Anti-Tuberculosis League Free Clinic, c. 1925

Opening of the First Mobile X-Ray Unit, 1945

Opening of the First Mobile X-Ray Unit, 1945

Taking Chest X-Ray inside the Mobile X-Ray Unit, 1960

Taking Chest X-Ray inside the Mobile X-Ray Unit, 1960