Texas State Board of Medical Examiners Records at the McGovern Historical Center
Texas began regulating physicians in 1837 when Dr. Anson Jones, one of the few formally educated physicians in the state, wrote the Medical Practice Act. The Board of Medical Censors tested prospective physicians and granted licenses from 1837 until 1848. A new regulatory law for medical doctors was enacted in 1873 and the Texas State Board of Medical Examiners was formed in 1907. It was renamed the Texas Medical Board in 2005.
This exhibit at The TMC Library highlights the extensive Texas State Board of Medical Examiners records (IC 058) located at McGovern Historical Center, TMC Library. The collection spans 98 boxes and contains licensure records for more than 6,000 Texas physicians from 1907 and 1972. While the McGovern Historical Center has the actual application materials filed by prospective Texas physicians, the Texas State Archives hold the ledgers where the Board of Medical Examiners tracked this work. Visit Texas State Board of Medical Examiners Records: An Inventory of State Board of Medical Examiners Records at the Texas State Archives, 1901-1975, 1978-1985, bulk 1901-1975. The McGovern Historical Center also has an electronic set of these ledgers.
Items from this exhibit are from the McGovern Historical Center at The TMC Library.