This was at the Stewart Building office (1906-1973) at Fannin and Preston. According to the Bayou City History blog (2012 June 5), it was the first reinforced concrete building in the city.
1) Picture of Estate staff at desks. The clock above the rolltop desk advertises “G.A. Pfeiffle[?] Watch Inspector, S.S.&S. Ry, Greenville,Tex.” This would have been the Sherman, Shreveport, and Southern Railway, which had its offices in Greenville and was sold to the MKT in 1901.
2) Estate employee at desk with the latest in communication devices: Candlestick telephones, typewriter (behind him), and what appears to be a telegraph on the windowsill on the far-right. A box telephone with two bells on top is just visible in the right lower corner of the photograph. The cylindrical machine on the desk is a check writer or check protector, which impressed the payment amount on a check and made it more difficult to forge or alter.