Author Biographical Info

Founded on September 1, 1907 as the Baptist Sanitarium, Memorial Hospital began as a two-story, wood-framed building at the end of the trolley line on Lamar and Smith. It had 17 beds and eight trained nurses on staff. It was the second general hospital established in Houston after St. Joseph Hospital which opened in 1887. It was also the second Baptist-supported hospital in the United States.


image preview



Publication Date(s)

circa 1928-1938




Memorial as it appeared through most of the 1930’s. The building had been expanded several times already in the 1910’s and 1920’s, and would be enlarged again in the early 1940’s. The large light-colored building in the upper left is the Phenix Dairy, established in 1914 and once a major distributor in the South. This area is near the Julia Ideson building of the Houston Public Library, but is otherwise all skyscrapers now. See more at Texas Medical Center Records and its finding aid.


Image Location