Southwestern Poliomyelitis Respiratory Center at Jefferson Davis Hospital. The tenth floor of the second Jefferson Davis Hospital (1939) became the Southwestern Poliomyelitis Respiratory Center in 1950. It moved into the annex seen here in December 1951. The new building was air-conditioned and provided state-of-the-art care for sixty acute and twenty recuperating patients at a time. It was also the first hospital program in Houston to treat patients in an integrated setting; there was no separate ward for minority patients.