Texas Medical Center, Don N. Macon, MDA-TV (Television station : Houston, Tex.), University of Texas Health Science Center at Houston. Dental Branch, Ernst William Bertner, Houston Chamber of Commerce, William B. Bates
Part 2 of this series covers Dr. Elliott's activities from 1932, when he became Dean of the Texas Dental College, until 1943 when the school was brought into the University of Texas System as the Dental Branch in Houston. The Texas Dental College faced financial problems. The faculty was primarily composed of part time staff. Dr. Elliott went to work to improve teaching methods, recruit student and patients for the clinic. Dr. Elliott served on numerous health committees such as the Houston Board of Health and the Public health Commission of the Houston Chamber of Commerce. The image of the Texas Dental College changed from a place that only trained dentists to a health education and awareness institution. During these years Dr. Elliott met Col. William B. Bates who was Chairman of the School Board and Dr. E. W. Bertner who also served on the Houston Board of Health. Efforts to make the Texas Dental College a state school were revived in 1939. House Bill #278 was passed in 1943, and the University of Texas Dental Branch came into being on September 1st. of that year. See more at https://archives.library.tmc.edu/avv-ic084-035.
CC BY-NC 4.0
Recommended CitationCitation Information:Elliot, Frederick C. (1893-1986), "Interview with Frederick C. Elliott, DDS, Part 2 of 5" (1973).
DigitalCommons@TMC, Texas Medical History Documents, Historical A/V from the Texas Medical Center. Paper 77.