Author Biographical Info

Baylor College of Medicine is a private medical school located in the Texas Medical Center. It opened in October 1900 in Dallas, Texas, by Albert Ferdinand Beddoe, A.B., M.D., and Samuel Hollingsworth Stout, A.B., M.D., as the University of Dallas Medical Department (there was no such school as the University of Dallas). In 1903 it joined with Baylor University and became the Baylor University College of Medicine.The College expanded both physically and by reputation through the 1950s and 1960s. In 1969, the College of Medicine separated from the University and officially changed its name to Baylor College of Medicine. In addition to the medical school, it has a Graduate School of Biomedical Science, the School of Allied Health Professions, and the National School of Tropical Medicine.


image preview



Publication Date(s)





A typed, 34 page transcript of an interview conducted by Charles T. Morrissey with Dr. Desmond at her residence in Houston, Texas, on June 16, 1987, as part of the Baylor College of Medicine Oral History Project. Includes a bar graph showing deliveries at Jefferson Davis Hospital, Houston, Texas, from 1920 to 1984. See more at Murdina MacFarquhar Desmond, MD Papers and its finding aid.


Dr. Desmond donated the items in the collection in 1996. No accruals are expected for this collection.


Baylor College of Medicine, Epidemics, Texas Medical Center, Hermann Hospital (Houston, TX), Texas Children’s Hospital, Jefferson Davis Hospital (Houston, TX), Southern Baptist Convention, Pediatrics, Newborn infants, Neonatology, Women in medicine, Women physicians, Murdina M., Desmond (1916-2003), Houston (TX), Texas Medical Center, Russell Blattner, C. William Daeschner, Martha Dukes Yow, Walter H. Moursund, Stanley W. Olson, H. E. (Hebbel Edward) Hoff (1907-), Michael E. (Michael Ellis) DeBakey (1908-2008), Denton A. Cooley (1920-2016)m Mylie E. Durham Jr., Reba Michels Hill, William S. (William Straus) Fields (1913-2004), Raymond D. (Raymond Donald) Pruitt (1912-), Hugh Roy Cullen (1881-1957), oral histories, interviews transcripts


Image Location