Publication Date

6-1-2022

Journal

Integrated Healthcare Journal

Abstract

BACKGROUND: Although secondary stroke prevention is important, the optimal outpatient model that improves risk factor control and decreases post-stroke complications effectively has not been established. We created Follow-up After Stroke, Screening and Treatment (FASST), an interdisciplinary clinic involving stroke physicians and pharmacists to address poststroke complications and secondary stroke prevention systemically. We present our approach to assess its proof-of-concept in our pilot study.

METHODS: We included the patients attending FASST clinic after their hospital discharge. We used validated survey screens to assess for complications: depression, anxiety, sleep disorders, cognitive impairment, disability, social support, quality of life and functional status. Data were collected including risk factors, complication screening results and outcome scores. Clinical pharmacists assessed risk factor control and health-related behaviours for modification.

RESULTS: Of the 25 patients enrolled in the interdisciplinary clinic, all had comorbid hyperlipidaemia and hypertension, and 44% had diabetes mellitus. About one-third needed medication changes for risk factor control. On screening, 16% of patients were found to have depression, 12% had anxiety and 20% had sleep apnoea. These patients were either managed in the clinic or were referred to relevant subspeciality clinics. The status of risk factor control was assessed in all patients, and 32% had medications adjustments.

CONCLUSION: Our preliminary data found that FASST clinic model is feasible and potentially useful. It represents an integrated approach to post-stroke care, with pharmacist collaboration to improve risk factor control, while assessing for poststroke complications. Further study is needed to improve health outcomes through integrated poststroke care.

Keywords

Efficiency, organizational; Medication reconciliation; Quality improvement; Teamwork; Ambulatory care

Included in

Neurology Commons

Share

COinS
 
 

To view the content in your browser, please download Adobe Reader or, alternately,
you may Download the file to your hard drive.

NOTE: The latest versions of Adobe Reader do not support viewing PDF files within Firefox on Mac OS and if you are using a modern (Intel) Mac, there is no official plugin for viewing PDF files within the browser window.